Speak & Spell is the title of the debut album by Depeche Mode, released on 5 October 1981 on Mute Records. The album was preceded by the singles New Life and Just Can't Get Enough, both included on this release. the album was produced by Depeche Mode and Daniel Miller.
As the only album to feature founder member Vince Clarke, who wrote the majority of the songs, Speak & Spell represents a unique work in the Depeche Mode canon.
- original UK LP/cassette, MUTE STUMM 5 / c STUMM 5
- New Life
- I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead
- Boys Say Go!
- What's Your Name?
- Tora! Tora! Tora!
- Big Muff
- Any Second Now (Voices)
- Just Can't Get Enough
- UK CD release CD STUMM 5 (1988) as above plus extra tracks:
- Dreaming of Me
- Ice Machine
- Any Second Now
- Just Can't Get Enough (Schizo Mix)
- All songs written by Vince Clarke except Tora! Tora! Tora! and Big Muff by Martin L. Gore
- All lead vocals by Dave Gahan except Any Second Now (Voices) by Martin L. Gore
- Some overseas issues omit I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead, moving Puppets to track 2 and include debut single Dreaming Of Me as track 3.
- Some versions of Dreaming of Me, where included, have a different ending to the original single release.
- Some overseas issues feature photographs of band members on the back of the sleeve. The UK release, like all the singles, does not feature any such photographs.
- Some initial CD releases (from 1986) feature the original UK track-listing whereas others follow the revised listing / order, and feature group photos (see above).
- I own the LP, bought when it came out.